Sunday, October 13, 2013

My Mother's First Visit to South Africa: Arrival into Cape Town

Saturday, September 28 was my brother's 32nd birthday.  This was the same day Mom and I arrived into Cape Town.

How do I introduce Cape Town to my Mother?  By introducing her to RUGBY!  My colleague and friend, John Vivalo, introduced me and a group of training participants to rugby with tickets to a live match in Pretoria in 2010.  I was instantly drawn in.  How can a woman not be drawn to rugby?  Un-padded, well-built men running around in tight shorts showing off their muscular thighs and well sculpted calves ... even the water boy is built like an ancient Roman sculpture.
 

I digress (and take a moment to fantasize) ... back to the story ...

Ingrid, Mom and I venture to the Quay Four.  The bar is filled with South African men adorned in Springbok athletic jerseys with the exception of one man who is wearing a pink shirt, shirt and blond wig, celebrating his upcoming nuptials.
Ummmm congrats are in order?
Explaining rugby rules

We find a seat, order drinks, dinner and enjoy the game.  Ingrid and I explain the rules of the game to mom as the game goes along.  After the Springobok's victory, enter a local band.  Ingrid and I never pass up a chance to dance! dance! dance!  Mom finds herself enjoying a locally brewed beer (Black Label) and joining us as the band plays classic O'Jays, Frankie Beverly and Mayes, Prince, Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley.  At midnight we leave the bar as we have a full day of wine tasting ahead of us on Sunday...
Hello Ingrid!

She didnt let that Black Label go! haha

Someone we met on the dance floor!


Sunday, September 29 Ingrid and I decided in introduce Mom to Delheim wine farm located in Stellenbosch.  I chose this farm for their gorgeous, relaxing views and atmosphere.  It is very much a family orientated farm where you can find vast fields perfect for a picnic, children playing with the Jack Russells on the property as their parents relax and sip award winning wines.  "Worth the Journey" is definitely is and on a perfect Sunday afternoon Mom, Ingrid and I enjoy a wine tasting (choose 6 for 25 rand) and a platter filled with cheese, savory and sweet spreads as well as a smoked game.   On the way home we stop in the small town of Stellenbosch where we purchase gelato.  We enjoy the sweet treat as we quietly enjoy the beautiful sunset on the way home.

A literal warm welcome into Delheim with Glühwein or mulled wine.


After an amazing weekend Mom and I were ready for Monday.  While Ingrid must go to work I have planned a day tour of Robben Island for Mom and I ...

No comments:

Post a Comment