Sunday, October 13, 2013

Sawubona! Ngikhona!: My Mother's First Visit to South Africa ~ Johannesburg

For over 4 years I have been blessed to visit South Africa every six months.  And finally, late last year, I convinced my mother to visit as well.  This was not only her first time in South Africa, but also on the continent of Africa.  Sawubona! (Zulu greeting meaning "I see you").  Africa the continent, South Africa the country, sees you Mother and it was therefore my mission to ensure my Mom sees Her too.

I was in Johannesburg for work so the timing of her trip was perfect!  Mom landed in Johannesburg Wednesday, September 25 after a 19 hour direct flight from Washington DC (IAD) to Johannesburg, South Africa.  Upon landing I hired a S-Class Mercedes to pick her up from the airport.  I was still working but wanted to ensure she was greeted properly and so when she entered the room she found slippers, a terry cloth robe, hazelnut creme filled chocolates, South African cheese variety, nuts, two 1/2 bottles of sparkling wine, a bottle of Pinotage and water waiting for her.  Everything she may need to relax after a long flight and a much needed hot shower. 

The next day, Thursday September 26 I sent her on a full day tour of Johannesburg and Soweto.  No need for her to stay in while I work!  The full day tour included a visit to the Apartheid Museum, Mandela House, a township in Soweto and the Hector Pieterson Museum.  She returned from the tour informed and excited to learn more about South Africa.
The journey to FREEDOM seen during the tour of Johannesburg and Soweto.

Township in Soweto


A young boy stands in front of the Township

We had one more day in Johannesburg.  Thankfully my assignment ended early afternoon Friday, September 27 at 5pm and what better way to begin a vacation than in the spa!  Mom and I enjoyed lime / cucumber water in their relaxation room enveloped by a soft terry cloth robe and matching slippers.  After relaxing we were led to separate rooms where we spent 2 hours enjoying hot stone massages and facials.  After the spa we enjoyed a quiet dinner and packed our clothes.  We were mentally ready for our much needed vacation!

 


Ngikhona! (Zulu response to greeting meaning "I am here!").  My mother was indeed here ~ in Africa...in South Africa and we would have 8 more amazing days of information and relaxation in Cape Town.




No comments:

Post a Comment