Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving in Abidjan

Our hostess Ana and Pete
This year I was away from my family on the Thanksgiving holiday for the first time since Peace Corps.  Thankfully I was surrounded by great people (old and new friends) and amazing food! As I was determined to have a "taste" of home here in Abidjan, my suitcase was packed with two cans of Glory Collard Greens and pre-mixed dry ingredients to make "sweet" cornbread.  However, as this dry mix was in a zip lock bag it was confiscated by TSA.  I expected this may happen so I also packed two boxes of Jiffy (#winning).  Thanksgiving is not a holiday here and so Karim and I worked until 230pm and then went to the grocery store so that he could procure ingredients for his gourmet side salad, cake, cheese and wine. We arrived at the home of our beautiful hostess, Ana, a little after 4pm as we expected to roll up our sleeves and be in the kitchen.  
But she had this covered with two people chopping, glazing, prepping and stuffing two chickens before our arrival.  However, I did assist in making the cornbread and whipped up the honey butter which I glazed on the cornbread before it was served.  Karim was not allowed to completely chop the ingredients for his gourmet salad but he did whip up an amazing homemade salad dressing (oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, parsley and dijon mustard).  So in the end, we felt kinda useful in the kitchen haha 
Karim making salad dressing


Pete about to carve the chickens
While the food was being prepared and guests were arriving, the small group sat around, watched the children play, listened to music, sipped on adult beverages or worked while sipping on Coke (Karim).
Karim working and sipping on coke

Shawntel on the phone
Once all of the guests arrived (around 8:30pm) Pete had the honor of carving the chickens.  Once chicken was carved, prayer in French and English was said and everyone dived in!  Dinner, conversation, laughter, meet/greet and bilingual conversation continued throughout dinner and dessert.  As everyone had to work the next day, the night did end at midnight.  While I missed my family terribly on this holiday, I am thankful for the experience - how many can say they spent Thanksgiving in Abidjan and not have been an expat?! Experience my Thanksgiving in Abidjan through the photos below.  Enjoy!

Cornbread

Collard greens

Potato bake

Green bean casserole

Salad with goat cheese

Those yummy stuffed chickens

The table

Pie

Beverages

No comments:

Post a Comment