Monday, September 8, 2014

Summer Fun: Virginia is for Lovers

If you ask anyone that knows me they will tell you I am a Northern VA girl, through and through!  You can say pretty much nothing bad about Northern VA to me!  "Virginia is for Lovers" is the state slogan and this is mainly because this beautiful state offers anything a nature lover, wine lover, food lover or just a lover would enjoy!  There are numerous mountain ranges, beautiful, scenic views to enjoy romantic walks (or vigorous hikes, whatever you are into, no judgement), beaches, vineyards, historic districts where old vintage shops are found off cobblestone walkways and so much more!

I pushed 'pause' on my work travel as to spend some time at home for some much needed rest, relaxation and overall healing.  I have three more weeks home but I have truly enjoyed the last two weekends frolicking around Virginia:  wine tasting and a pig roast. 

Wine Tasting at Potomac Vineyards
Located at 275 Decatur Rd, Stafford, VA 22554 (http://www.potomacpointwinery.com/)
Looking for a wine tasting day trip?  You are in luck!  Potomac Vineyards is an hour from Washington DC!  The tasting is affordable at $5 for Classic Wine Tasting which includes 8 wines or at $10 for Premier Wine Tasting which includes 12 wines.  The Premier Wine Tasting also allows you to keep your wine glass as well as indulge in an olive oil tasting.  We, of course, chose the Premier Wine Tasting!  Their olive oil tasting was delicious.  I have never tried olive oil infused with lemon, lime or blood oranges.  The three were quite light, leaving a soft taste on the pallet.  My favorite, however, was the rosemary infused olive oil which smelled wonderful and left a strong rosemary flavor lingering on your tongue.  It was $5 for 4oz.  As for the wine tasting, my preference is a full-bodied red wine and their 2012 Abbinato, while not full bodied, was my favorite!  Their 2012 Abbinato is a Chianti-style blend, easy to drink and light bodied. A really good pizza (brick oven) wine!  I only bought one bottle at $17 but since my parents live in Stafford I am sure to stop by Potomac Vineyards to pick up another bottle soon! 
After wine tasting we decided to have lunch in their bistro.  I love this area as it is arranged to make the guest feel they are right at home, enjoying a meal in their living room. The furniture ranges from comfy chairs arranged around low wooden tables to high tables/chairs and of course there is a bar and a fireplace.  The owners photo sits above the fireplace.  The food was OK.  My favorite was the cheese, olive, tapinade and meat platter served with fresh, warm bread.  All in all it was a wonderful, lazy Sunday afternoon ... after church, of course!


Perfect with a nice red wine!

Crab cake -- no complaints.

Steak -- it was OK.  The sauce was also a little bland.

Almost Annual Collis Warner Pig Roast
Hosted in King George VA on Saturday September 6, 2014
This is a family friendly event which is hosted every other year.  This is my first time being able to attend the event as normally I am on travel.  Let me first say, the drive was beautiful!  We enjoyed a blue sky and green grass, trees as far we could see.  It was a bit warm but still all in all a beautiful Saturday.  We enjoyed normal cookout fare:  hot dogs, hamburgers as well as ... well ... roasted pig.  Then there were stands offering cold beer, old fashioned soda made with sugar cane and warm, fresh roasted kettle corn.  The event also offered kayaking, face painting for the kids, pony rides and much more.  It was a nice day out with my family who are from King George, VA.  If you have the chance this is an event I would recommend you attend with your family and friends!


Hay ride to the event from the parking field
Beautiful drive

Love, peace, serenity ... Virginia

1 comment: