Friday, October 28, 2011

PAP SMEAR: Ladies, have you had yours this year?

 Pap smears SUCK!  Any woman that has had one knows this.  We also know (and appreciate) the kind doctor that warms up the speculum they insert in us to ensure "comfort".  Any doctor that inserts a cold metal tool speculum inside of you is an asshole.  I'm just sayin' ...

But why is this procedure so important?  "Pap" smears are exams to look out for the Human PAPilloma Virus) or HPV.  There are various strands of HPV.  One strand can cause genital warts, another cervical cancer while other strands cause no issue at all.  The fact is that HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that can be avoided with a condom in the case of cancer causing strands.  However, genital warts are caused by skin to skin contact so ladies BE CAREFUL, BE SELECTIVE, BE MONOGAMOUS!  More information on HPV here:  HPV Facts.

Cervical cancer starts in the cells on the surface of the cervix. It usually develops very slowly. It starts as a precancerous condition called sysplasia.  This precancerous condition can be detected by a Pap smear and is 100% treatable. That is why it is so important for women to get regular Pap smears. Most women who are diagnosed with cervical cancer today have not had regular Pap smears or they have not followed up on abnormal Pap smear results.  Please, ladies, find the money and / or the time for your annual exam.  Cervical cancer, worldwide is the #3 cancer affecting women today!  Get more information on pap smears here:  Pap Smear.

Undetected precancerous changes can develop into cervical cancer and spread to the bladder, intestines, lungs, and liver. It can take years for precancerous changes to turn into cervical cancer. Patients with cervical cancer do not usually have problems until the cancer is advanced and has spread.

It was put on my heart weeks ago to do this post but I needed to find the time and energy to write it.  A friend close to my heart was recently diagnosed with cervical cancer.  She openly admits that not taking annual pap smears is something she wish she could reverse.  She only advises women to not rely on your general practitioner (GP).  Do the research - find a highly recommended GYN in your area.  You can do this by searching your health care providers website, the yellow pages or even talk to female friends who are happy with they GYN.  Your GYN is all about your "girl parts" ... let your GP worry about everything else.  As my friend stated, "we have to manage our doctors just like we manage everything else in life and understand that we are in charge."  This is a lesson which was sadly learned too late for my friend as she "took charge" and saw her GP three times only to hear that nothing was wrong.  It was not until she decided to seek the specialized care of a GYN that she was properly diagnosed. 

My friend has started a blog and is documenting her experience, physically and emotionally.  She has given me permission to share her blog:  Nita's Living Strong.  Even after having to experience the pain of surgery (hysterectomy) the cancer is still present.  Now she must also endure radiation and chemo.  This is my colleague, my friend, my confidant, parte de mi corazón ... to hear her say these things scares the shit out of me.  So I can only imagine what she and her family are going through emotionally.  I can only imagine how scared she is, the pain she is enduring physically and emotionally.  I have prayed for her healing and comfort and the comfort of her family.  I can only be here, stand by as a friend for when she needs me.  But I feel absolutely helpless.  Please let the lessons that she learned AFTER being diagnosed teach you ladies the importance of way to ensure the prevention of this disease.  I must say again that cervical cancer is a curable disease if detected early.  Have you had your pap smear this year?  If not, GET ONE! (and ask your GYN to warm up the speculum).

2 comments:

  1. Amiga! An amazing post! Yes, I am her friend with cervical cancer and after enduring the surgery been in bed in Pain paying the consequences for not being careful. Painful like nothing I have endured, scary enough to make you cry every night, your life flashes in front of you, you think will I be there for my children or will they grow up without a mother. Will my 6 year old keep crying himself to sleep, will my husband be able to handle the pressures of what is to come......

    All because we don't make time to ensure we are healthy, we must love ourselves, if we don't no one else can! If Phoebe sends this message is a the message of ultimate love towards the women that surround her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nita, thank you so much for sharing and being so open. Your story, I pray, will motivate those who are reluctant to get their annual exam to get up and spread them legs for their exam! haha
    Love you, Nita :)

    ReplyDelete