Sunday, November 27, 2011

Destination: Haiti

Despite Haiti's significant contributions to world history such as the writing of the first Black Republic constitution in 1801 (Haiti), the victorious Slave rebellion in 1803, the declaration of Saint Dominique's independence --currently Haiti and Dominican Republic-- in 1804 this small Caribbean country continues to struggle with natural disasters, diseases and extreme poverty.  How can a country whose people rose up, fought against and defeated Spain, England and France to win its independence continue to struggle to find independent wealth and success?  

This thought played over and over again in my mind my first trip to Haiti in October 2010.  The people always have a smile on their face, work from sun up to sun down and even by candlelight.  And yet Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere with 80% of its population living in poverty.  More than half of the population makes $1 a day and yet the price of rice is $3/bag.  A bag of rice means three days of pay for some people ... 

Last year I admittedly had an AWESOME time in this tiny, impoverished country.  I ate well (the food reminded me a lot of what I love to eat in Dominican Republic) and the rum (Barbancourt) is world renown winning awards since 1896!  The beer (Prestige) ain't bad either.  And for anyone who knows me, you know I love to dance and Haitians do too!  For two weeks I was out almost every single night sweatin' it out to Zouk and Bachata.  Yes, BACHATA!  Thank God their friendly Dominican neighbors have been an influence on food, music and dance.  

I return to Haiti on Monday and am back in the US on December 10.  After this trip I should be home until the end of February.  I look forward to my second visit to this country.  Not to mention, it is always nice missing cold weather since I am NOT a fan and it is expected to be 90 every day I am there.  This trip I have overpacked to ensure the hotel doing my laundry is NOT necessary to avoid another "Phoebe and the Leper" incident.  I also packed two weeks worth of redbulls and these are not sold here and I am an addict.  Finally, I definitely plan to avoid ice to ensure I do not come back with cholera.  I am just looking forward to a productive trip from which I return healthy!

Below are photos from my last trip:










No comments:

Post a Comment