Friday, November 4, 2011

Destination: Paris


Paris.  What are the first things that come to mind?  For me, in this order:
1.  Under the Cherry Moon (Prince movie filmed in Paris)
2.  The champagne
3.  The Eiffel Tower
4.  The Louvre
    I only had two days in this magical city.  I was determined to make all three happen.  Sadly, the Louvre (amongst other things) is closed on Tuesdays.  Why Tuesdays??  But I did make it to the Eiffel Tower and I could not get enough of it.  This is truly a wonder.  As I stood in line I realized that this tower must have love pixie dust that must consume those in line.  There were couples in front of me, behind me, to my left, to my right which could not keep their hands off of each other.  They were absolutely insatiable.  I stood there alone, wishing William was there.  I paid to go up to the tippy top of this extravagant monument, "13.40 euro s'il vous plaît"  I handed over my euro and joined the couples waiting to enter the elevator ... they were still locking lips.  As I said - insatiable.  I made it to the top and as I stepped off the elevator my heart briefly stopped (I am afraid of heights) and a tear fell from my eye (the wind be strong at the top) but once I took it all in I walked over to the champagne bar and ordered a rose champagne in a cheesy plastic souvenir glass which lit up once the chilled rose champagne hit the bottom, "20 euro, s'il vous plaît."  Again, I handed over my euro and in exchange I was handed this tourist trap bubbly delight.  I took a sip.  Freakin' delicious.

    Then I walked over to the edge and took in the amazing night sky and the city lights below. My fear of heights dissipated.  I was simply in awe.  How blessed was I to be here?  To enjoy this?  Very blessed ... times ten!

    And the warm, fresh croissant the morning of my second day with Nutella spread in the middle practically melted in my mouth. Bonjour Paris!

    It was a sunny, brisk day and so I decided to walk.  I bumped into the Gallerias Lafayette and was in awe of the amount options!  I could not even decide where to look, what to buy, in what color, in what material ... I was overwhelmed.  I decided to stop by a chocolatier bar and ordered a piece of chocolate with hazelnut in the middle and you guessed it - a glass of champagne.  I sat there and observed the focus shoppers who clearly knew exactly what they wanted.
    After I finished my afternoon dessert and observation I walked and walked and bumped into a small second hand store run by the cutest old Parisian woman.  I spoke no French and she spoke no English.  She smiled, nodded, "bonjour" to which I responded "bonjour" and went straight for accessories.  I KNEW what I was looking for:  a beret.  A Raspberry Beret.  Come on, you KNEW this was inevitable.  And I found one.  It isnt especially soft or fancy but I was going to have it.  I paid the Parisian grandmother 8 euro.  She held up a mirror and adjusted it to look "just right" after I put it on.  If there is any doubt in your mind ~ I AM THE BIGGEST PRINCE FAN! LOL I now owned a raspberry beret that I purchased in a second hand store!  Now what is the next thing I must do?  Well I had to enter an establishment through the out door (duh!) LOL .. I walked the streets, took photos and then I came upon the perfect place to finish my "Raspberry Beret" adventure:  a crepiere.  I skipped into the establishment, through the out door ... I smiled.  My Paris / Prince mission was complete.   
    ** I have included a video from VH1's "Pop Up Video" series.  Good music, hot artist and informative.  Enjoy! **


    Anyway, I ordered a fresh crepe with Nutella.  It was warm, it was chocolaty, it was hazelnutty - it was perfect.  I decided to enjoy it with hot tea.  Again, I was eating something delicious and watching the locals walk to their destination.




    If I am honest, I must say that while being in Paris for two days was not enough time, I was also happy to get home.  I was happy to see William and hopefully we will return to this magical city together.


    We would have to do some saving, though.  The euro also massacres the USD.  Shall we analyze my trip financially?

    1 Euro = $1.40

    -- All day pass on the metro:  8.40 euro ($11.60)
    -- To the top of the Eiffel Tower:  13.40 euro ($18.50)
    -- Champagne at the top of the Eiffel Tower in a souvenir glass that I cannot find hmm:  20 euro ($27.65)
    -- Dinner for one with a view of the Eiffel Tower:  43 euro (included salad, steak, potatoes, creme brulee and two glasses of french red wine). ($59.44)
    -- Chocolate and champagne:  14.20 euro ($19.60)
    -- Delicious Nutella filled crepe and tea:  6 euro ($8.30)

    Once more and again, experiencing this country, this city ~ priceless.

    A très bientôt!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment