Thursday, February 16, 2012

Destination: Botswana

I was home for the holidays.  And I have absolutely enjoyed my time at home!  I have been able to spend some time with my VA girls, see my boo play at various venues, bond with my niece, spend my birthday with my loved ones and provide some training at the home office.  It has been a wonderful two months home.  And now I am off again on a 4 week work trip visiting two countries.  The first one being Botswana.


Botswana is a new country for me so I am excited!  Yet another country on the beautiful continent of Africa will experience some Phoebe! haha and I, too, get to experience another culture, yummy local dishes and hopefully learn a new dance or two!  To avoid bringing back any maggots as was previously experienced (for the full story see PHOEBE and the LEPER blog entry:  http://publicprivateconfessions.blogspot.com/2011/11/phoebe-and-leper.html) I have packed my personal iron and steamer.  Because Kizi was such a huge influence on me during our trip to Cote d'Ivoire I have also packed plenty of tissues, Wet Ones, clorox wipes and my own sheets.  Thank you Kizi  and "Schmidt the Maggot" for making me a wee bit OCD-ish. 

After reading about Botswana I thought I would share some interesting facts.  I want to share these facts because I have become annoyed at the initial reaction of people when I tell them I am going to Africa.  I get blah "Oh, really?"  and some of them add "Good luck with that!"  and then there is the ignorant "Where will you sleep? What will you eat?" and the one that always puzzles me, "Why would you want to go there???"

Why would I want to go to Africa?  Really?  OK let me answer that question:
Africa ~ a continent naturally rich with minerals, precious metals, nutrients (i.e. cacao) and animals which we only see in pictures or locked up in our local zoos.  Africa ~ where a people so strong, so great, so dominant and so coveted that they were enslaved and mated with in hopes to "create" this strength in future generations.  Africa ~ where people are so beautiful their look is duplicated today through tanning, lip and butt injections, breast implants and hip widening procedures.  Africa ~ a continent so diverse that in one country you can find 80 different languages - which as I was told "is not a lot."  Africa ~ the cradle of civilization.  Whether you believe in God, Allah, or the "big bang theory" the facts all point to life starting HERE, on THIS continent ~ Africa.  Yes, there are negative statistics, especially when it comes to HIV/AIDS epidemic but let's not judge an entire continent based on this epidemic or the practices of various tribes and / or religions.  So when you look at National Geographic or any other "majority owned" network and / or magazine and think to yourself "Oh my God I would NEVER want to visit that continent!"  or "Oh my goodness how could they live like that?"  or "I feel sorry for those people."  Realize it is YOU that is missing out on what Africa has to offer you. 

What you may not have known about Botswana:
  1. English is the official language.
  2. The adult literacy rate is almost 81% for the entire country.  In Washington DC the Literacy Council estimated that 36% of the adult population is illiterate.  Hmm that means the adult literacy rate is Washington DC is 64% ... and yet we Americans assume that most Africans cannot read or write.  *side eye*
  3.  Landlocked country about the size of Texas.
  4. Natural resources, which provide over $5b in export business a year are:  gold, copper, diamonds, salt, nickel and copper.  
  5. Average household income is an average of $6,700 per year.  
  6. There is good food and lots of dancing pretty much every night at BULL AND BUSH in Gaborone.  Guess who plans to be there?  This chic! haha
And finally some photos.  These are not my photos but borrowed from those who have already experienced this country.  Upon my return I will be sure to share my personal pics.  In the meantime, please enjoy:










4 comments:

  1. why you only gotta post the safari pictures!!!!! What about the city???????????? #madface

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because my Caucasian friends only take these types of photos with their professional cameras LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for adding city pictures!!!! Looks really nice. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it.... be safe and I'll see you when u get back

    ReplyDelete