Friday, April 13, 2012

I dedicate this song to ...

I recently started following this very fun and interesting blog:  Man, Wife & Dog (http://manwifeanddog.com/#axzz1ruBMmBra). Ladies, you should stop by the blog. It is quite entertaining, insightful and inspirational.  Especially to someone like me who was single for so long.  One of the (many) flaws about being single for so long is that I sometimes find it hard to express myself vocally.  Not when I am upset, of course haha but when I need to tell him how much I love and appreciate him.

To assist me with this I have decided to complete the "love homework" assignments which are found on Man, Wife & Dog.  Every Tuesday "wife" will put up a love assignment we women can try that might in some way help us better understand, communicate, appreciate and enjoy our relationship.

The assignment this week:  dedicate a song.   The first song I dedicate to William is "I Need You to Survive" by Hezekiah Walker. 
The first time I heard this song was the first Sunday I saw my baby play at church.  The song came at a time where we were constantly arguing and when I heard it I was instantly humbled and my heart heard the message.  A sample of the lyrics:

I pray for you, You pray for me.
I love you, I need you to survive.
I won't harm you with words from my mouth.
I love you, I need you to survive.
(repeat 8 X)

It is his will, that every need be supplied.
You are important to me, I need you to survive


The message is simple:  our relationship is not about us as individuals, it is about a partnership.  And we need each other to survive. Our relationship is not going to survive on physical (lust) but by being built on a strong, spiritual foundation and agreement.  I need to not only pray with William, but pray for him.  Secondly, by respecting each other (even when we are upset).  I need to be very careful about what I say TO and ABOUT William.  And by simply loving William.  Love, not as defined by society, a society in which it is easy to fall in and out of love but as defined in 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 where it says that love "protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres" ...

"I Need You to Survive" by Hezekiah Walker:
 

I am going to dedicate a second song for "extra credit" haha - "It's Love" by Jill Scott. Many of you know how William and I met - in a hotel bar in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.  I was not paying much attention to the band until they started playing "It's Love" by Jill Scott.  Go-go beat in Ethiopia!?  This VA girl was super happy!  I immediately jumped up and started dancing to rep VA/Luzbooti style.  THAT is when I noticed the drummer.  I thought "Yo dude is crankin'!"  I was introduced to him later that night by one of the lead singers - " This is JR or Speedy, he was on the drums..."  He was busy putting his drums into the vehicle so there was no conversation but he gave me a polite nod and smile.  The next day he introduced himself to me in a local brunch spot and invited me back out to see him play.  I saw the band play again the night before I left Ethiopia.  That night he asked for my card and promised to call me when he was back in the DC area.  I did not expect him to call but he did and here we are 8 months later.  Every time I hear that song it brings a smile to my face.  When I see him play this song it does something to my heart (ok ok maybe my loins -- there is something so SEXY about him playin' this song hm hm hm) ... I do love my Christian Drummer Boy ...

The song in case you do NOT know it ~ It's Love by Jill Scott.




No comments:

Post a Comment