Monday, July 14, 2014

Destination: Utrecht, Netherlands

Usually when I am in Holland for a long weekend, leading to a day or two at the office in Woerden, I stay in Amsterdam.  Holland, Amsterdam, both have quite a bit to offer (Destination: Holland) but this time my friend, Marcel, convinced me to stay in Utrecht.

INTERESTING FACTS about Utrecht:
  • In 2012, the Archbishop of Utrecht was created a cardinal by Pope Benedict XVI at a ceremony in Rome’s St Peter’s Basilica.  
  • It is also the home of The University of Utrecht, the largest university in the Netherlands. 
  • In 2015, Utrecht will host the Grand Start of the Tour de France! 

SITE-SEEING:  Lombok & City Center

I stayed at NH Utrecht which was conveniently located near the train station and in walking distance of the city center.   After a long flight, shower and a nap I decided to put on my ADIDAS to take a walk around Utrecht.   My friend, Marcel, was going to meet me in the center of town.  I took a wrong turn and ended up walking along Kanaalstraat located in the center of the multicultural district of Lombok.  When I realized I was lost, nowhere near the city center, I advised Marcel of my location and he told me Lombok was a known Turkish, Moroccan and Iranian neighborhood.  There was fresh produce, bread, pastries and herbs being sold on block corners.  It was clear this was a close knit community where families were shopping for fresh food, store owners were outside their shops talking, the scent of fresh bread in the air ... it was nice.  I need to see more of this neighborhood on my next visit ...

I eventually found Marcel and we walked to the city center.  As we walked the first thing I noticed was a tall church tower.  Marcel told me this was the Dom Tower.  The Dom Tower is the highest and oldest church tower in Holland, understandably Utrecht's main landmark, standing at the spot where the city of Utrecht originated almost 2,000 years ago. The Dom Tower was built between 1321 and 1382 and is over 360 feet high (Marcel had the NERVE to suggest we climb the tower - this did NOT happen).  Originally, the Dom Tower was attached to be attached to the main body of the church which was under construction at the time.  However, in 1647 the Dom Tower became separated from the uncompleted nave after a tornado. The tower and main body of the church were never connected  While the tower also experienced damage and destruction was considered, it was decided to restore the tower, which took five years.  As a first time visitor, I cannot imagine the skyline of Utrecht without the Dom Tower.




After gazing up at the Dom Tower, Marcel and I "bumped" into Flora’s Hof nursery.  The nursery, ran by volunteers, is a small, serene escape in the middle of Utrecht.  With benches, beautiful flowers, surrounded by walls etched with depictions from the life of Saint Martin, the patron saint of the Dom and city.  This quiet garden has quite the history! The medieval Episcopal palace stood where the garden now grows.  The palace fell into disrepair and was finally demolished in 1803 leaving a fallow patch of land in the city center - now this beautiful garden.  It is free to visit, so I encourage you to take a book, sit, relax and enjoy the history and peace around you in Flora's Hof Nursery.

 




After a silent walk through Flora's Hof nursery, Marcel and I walked over to the Cathedral. Beautiful!  We walked into the courtyard, Pandhof, which is an idyllic monastery garden hidden between St. Martin's Cathedral and the University Hall. In the middle of the garden is a fountain with a bronze statue of the 14th-century canon (priest) Hugo Wstinc.  It was gorgeous! 






Of course there are the canals.  Since it was nice the entire weekend restaurants opened their doors, placed tables and chairs outside of guests looking to relax, eat and people watch.  Utrecht was easy to walk and I explored the city by foot with my friend walking over 17 miles!

Pedestrian lanes are quite a bit smaller than bike lanes

10pm in Utrecht



It is smaller than Amsterdam but offers shopping, a rich history, breath-taking architect, fun bars and nightlife.  If you are looking to experience Holland, without the crowds, tourists, overly priced restaurants, please visit Utrecht.  Anytime I am able to have a long layover in Holland, I will be staying in Utecht.
Thank you Marcel for walking me around! XO

2 comments:

  1. Sweet! By reading I realize I must go see more of my city! Welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yipee! I'm so glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete